This is a photo from the UN flickr site, showing the lake this past weekend near Geneva. It has been bitter cold and windy, and that makes the ice do weird things as it sprays up onto the shore.
More images of frozen cars, trees and benches like this one can be seen at 9gag, just type “Lake Geneva” in the search window.
I’ll take this opportunity to pass along a few more links:
- If you’re suffering through Superbowl withdrawal, here are a few tips from a real doctor on how to cope.
- I know you’ve been putting off that colonoscopy. Shame on you.
- This release about using space technology to zap kidney stones has been nominated for Terrible Title of the Year.
- World-renowned itch expert Gil Yosipovitch tells us why it feels better to scratch itches in some places than in others. Is this a case of reality driving destiny or is his name just a coincidence?
- Five tons of ice was stolen from a South American glacier, then recovered. Its estimated value: $6,200. What do you do with recovered glacier ice? Let it melt? Gives new meaning to “money down the drain.”
- Another astonishing meteorological phenomenon, this time in Dorset. Hailing jellyballs. Only in England.
- You can get your gut microbiome analyzed by my.microbes.eu – but it’ll cost you nearly 1000 euros. I’m holding out for deeper discounts. In fact, I think they should pay me for the privilege of looking at my flora. It’s got to be one of a kind (burp).
- Scientists at the University of Utah found a relative of the Titan’s Penis (see my previous post) that is much smaller than its humongous cousin but thankfully still smells like roadkill.
- Watch this video for some more insight into the joys of barefoot running.